- The company was originally founded in 1950 as The Jasper Corporation.
- The company began with fewer than 30 employees and merely 25,000 square feet of production space.
- The company acquired the W.W. Kimball Piano Co. in 1959.
- The company began production of electronics for its organ business in 1961.
- The company began production of its branded office furniture in 1970.
- In 1974, the company built its new corporate headquarters in Jasper, Indiana. Kimball International became a publicly traded company in 1976, listed on NASDAQ under the ticker symbol: KBALB.
- Kimball International was named to the Fortune 500 list for the first time in 1988.
- In 1997, the corporate headquarters was totally renovated to better reflect the company’s image and growth.
- In 2003, Kimball was recognized as one of Fortune’s "Most Admired" and one of Forbes' "Best" in America.
- In 2010, Kimball celebrated 60 year anniversary.
- Kimball Office made its first desk in 1970.
- Kimball Office introduced the now standard concept of in-stock inventory and quick shipment of orders, revolutionizing the industry and forcing a move away from unresponsive manufacturing.
- Kimball Office products have been featured in a number of feature films and TV programs.
- Kimball Office has furnished desks and/or seating for such high-profile offices as the Vice President of the United States, the U.S. Senate, the Pentagon, and numerous state governors’ offices.
- Today, Kimball Office designs and manufactures furniture for private offices and open-plan settings for customers - from large multinational corporations to small, start-up companies.
National Office Furniture
- National Office Furniture Company was established in 1980, a decade after its sister company Kimball Office.
- National Office Furniture was introduced as a response to the market’s call for high-quality, value-priced office furniture, to meet the needs of new and small businesses as well as larger businesses on smaller budgets.
- As part of Kimball International, National entered this highly-competitive mid market segment with distinct advantages: quality wood construction; stocked inventory for short lead times; state-of-the-art production facilities; and outstanding value for the customer’s dollar.
- National Office Furniture grew quickly, gaining a stellar reputation for providing high-quality productions and personal service at an affordable cost.
- National Office Furniture offers a complete line of value-oriented office furniture products, including freestanding and modular casegoods, seating, conference tables, bookcases and lateral files. National’s emphasis on personal attention and delivering the ultimate customer experience has created a recognized culture of caring embodied in the company’s tagline: "Furniture with Personality!"
- Kimball entered the lodging market in 1985, quickly becoming a premier supplier.
- A significant strength of Kimball Hospitality is the speedy and reliable ability to engineer and mass produce custom-designed and specialty furnishings. Often, these proprietary designs require unique materials, custom colors or faux finishings, and challenging details or production processes.
- Since 1992, Kimball Hospitality’s reputation as a leading furnishings supplier has resulted in customers choosing its brand productions for over 60,000 guest rooms for hotel chains, luxury properties and resort destinations worldwide.
- Kimball Hospitality has furnished thousands of rooms in Las Vegas' major hotels and casinos, making it one of the largest suppliers of furniture to this top tourist destination.
- Jasper Electronics Manufacturing Co. was founded in 1961 to develop and produce Kimball organs.
- Kimball Electronics began in 1963 as an outgrowth of the company’s production capabilities inherent in the manufacture of Kimball electronic organs.
- In 1968, Jasper Electronics received its first external contract and moved into a brand-new 80,000-square-foot facility in Jasper, Indiana.
- Kimball Electronics has continued to grow and expand and now has engineering and manufacturing services located in the United States (Indiana, Florida), Mexico, Poland, China and Thailand.
- Kimball Electronics provides engineering and manufacturing services to the medical, Industrial, automotive, public safety market segments.